We are excited to announce our 3rd Annual Clarinet Day at MMI! April 13, 2019 from 10am-5pm.
Jonathan Gunn -clarinet professor from University of Texas - Austin, will be our featured guest artist. Jonathan will performing a small recital and giving a master class event.
Masterclass Participant Request:
- Participants will be selected based on repertoire and age. 4 performers will be selected by the artist; all decisions are final.
- Submissions can be made through the link below or by emailing your name, age, contract information and selected repertoire to [email protected] by EXTENDED DATE April 1, 2019 5:00pm.
New! Solo Competitions
Performances open to the public
Junior division - ages 14-17:
§ 1st place = $200 cash price
§ 2nd place = $100 cash prize
§ 3rd place - $50 in-store credit
Senior division - ages 18- 26:
§ 1st place = $500 cash prize and invitation to attend Buffet's Clarinet Academy in July!
§ 2nd place = $200 cash prize
§ 3rd place = $100 cash prize
Submission deadline for solo competition is EXTENDED DATE April 7, 2019 at 5:00pm
Submissions can be made through the link below or by emailing [email protected] with your name, contact information and repertoire.
No accompanist required.
Schedule of Events
10-10:30am: Jonathan Gunn Performance
10:35-11:05am: Relaxation and Performance Techniques: Jennifer Gerth and Karrin Meffert-Nelson
11:10-11:40am: Clarinet Maintenance and Crack Prevention: Tori Okwabi and Caleb Rasmussen
11:45-12:30: Audition and Performance Preparation: Scott Anderson
12:30-1:00: Lunch break
12:45-1:45: Junior and Senior Solo Competitions (Open to the Public)
1:55-2:35: How to play in tune: Intonation and Voicing: Sang Yoon Kim and Gabriel Campos Zamora
2:40-4:20: Jonathan Gunn Masterclass
4:30-5:00: Clarinet Choir directed by Rena Kraut
Free small repairs throughout the day and a small lunch will be provided.
Competition Rules and Regulations:
1. Prepare 5 minutes max. of music from the standard solo clarinet repertoire. If you have questions about repertoire please
email [email protected]
2. Accompaniment and memorization is NOT needed. (Piano optional)
3. Entrants must supply 1 copy of their music for the judges.
4. Proper performance attire is expected.
5. Limit of 20 entrants per division allowed. Therefore performers are selected on a first come, first served basis. A wait list will be created in the event of cancellations.