As musicians, we take great pride in helping you find exactly the right beginner or professional instruments—whether you are in the market for oboes, bassoons, clarinets, saxophones, or instrument accessories. Whatever your musical queries, we’re here to help.About Us
How we are responding to COVID-19
UPDATE: Effective Monday May 18th, we will be open to walk-in customers! We have created new guidelines for operation. Please review them before making a trip in to the shop. Don’t forget, you can reach us by phone at 800.926.5587 with any questions you may have.
In light of the recent health crisis facing our nation, we here at Midwest Musical Imports are deeply committed to the health and safety of our staff, clients, and community. Luckily, no one in our shop has been exposed to the Coronavirus at this time and we are directing all staff to stay home and away from the office if they’re not feeling well. It is imperative that during this time we protect ourselves as well as each other.
Pursuant with guidance from the State of Minnesota and the Department of Health, we will be operating at 50%. This means that we will continue to have reduced staff in shop.
- No more than 3 walk-in customers will be permitted in the shop at any time. Staff will be responsible for monitoring the number of customers.
- Individual appointments for shopping/browsing can be arranged, please contact the office and set that up with one of our specialists.
- curbside pickup/drop off for accessories and repairs will remain an option for those not wanting to come into the shop.
- The waiting area will be closed until further notice – no snacks, beverages or waiting will be permitted.
*Face coverings/masks will be required for all customers entering the shop. This also applies to children as well. Our repair staff and specialist will also be wearing face coverings/masks as well. Refusal to wear a mask/covering will result in denied entry. Please do not remove your face covering while you are in shop.
Repair Shop Protocol:
Updates to our repair shop procedures are as follows –
- NO WALK-IN REPAIRS – we are able to do small repairs but they will be required to be dropped off and picked up accordingly. You are welcome to wait outside of the shop for your repair to be complete but you will not be permitted to remain in the shop during the repair.
- Repair work will continue as normal however all instruments will be left to acclimate in our shop for approximately 48 hours before any work will begin.
- Repair technicians will wear latex gloves while working on all instruments and masks where applicable.
- Each of our repair technicians will clean/sanitize their work stations between working on each instrument.
- They will also clean and sanitize tools and work spaces throughout the day as well.
- Instrument cases will be cleaned and sanitized as well, both inside and out, before the instrument is returned to its case.
Instrument & Bocal Trials:
In order to ensure the safest possible circumstances for instrument trials, the following will be enacted until further notice.
- All in-store instrument trials will be by appointment only. There will be no walk-in or unscheduled instrument trials. You must schedule an appointment ahead of time.
- You will be required to bring your OWN SWAB in order to clean instruments you are trying.
- A cleaning cloth will be provided for you to wipe down instruments you have completed the while trial.
- MMI staff will NOT be permitted in the same room during instrument trials. All paperwork and questions will be done outside of the trial room/hall.
- NO IN STORE mouthpiece trials. All mouth piece trials will be limited to pickup/drop off only. They will be limited to 5 days. All mouthpieces will sit for 48 hours before being disinfected and then will sit for an additional 48 hours before being made available again.
- All instruments will sit for 48 hours before trials and after trials before being disinfected and made available for the next trial.
- Should you or anyone around you become sick during the trial or have been exposed to COVID-19, please notify us immediately so the necessary precautions and actions can be taken.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time! (612) 331-4717
Like the rest of the world around us, we are simply left speechless and broken hearted by what has transpired in our beloved city. The racism and injustices that face our Black communities is unprecedented and we have long passed the time for silence and inaction. We stand with each and every one of you for making your voices heard and standing up against the systematic racism and inequality that has been all too present in our society.
We have taken the time to listen and further our own education. There is still much work to be done and we want to do all that is within our power to be an ally and speak up against these atrocities. While we will never fully understand the magnitude of what these communities face daily, our most sincere hope is to help protect and lift up those that have been marginalized throughout history. We wish for justice to be served, we wish for change and meaningful action, but most importantly we wish for peace.
We see you. We hear you. We stand with you.
With love and respect,
Midwest Musical Imports
Featuring Minnesota Clarinetists! Artist: Jennifer GerthWe are very excited to feature this months Minnesota Clarinetist Jennifer Gerth! Jennifer is in her 21st season as principal clarinet of the Duluth-Superior Symphony Orchestra. A substitute with the Minnesota Orchestra since 1995, she…
Minnesota Clarinetists! Virtual SeriesMidwest Musical Imports Facebook
COVID-19 Store ProtocolsHow we are responding to COVID-19 UPDATE: Effective Monday May 18th, we will be open to walk-in customers! We have created new guidelines for operation. Please review them before making a trip in to the shop.…
Ian Tyson, Freelance Clarinetist, New York, NY
I recently purchased a Buffet R13 from Midwest Musical Imports. The entire process was incredible. Clarinet specialist, Tori Okwabi, was so professional and thorough throughout every step of the process. She truly made me feel like a valued customer. Tori went above and beyond in customer service. Her knowlegde of the clarinet is top notch. I cannot say enough good things about Tori. She is definitley a key factor in me wanting to become a returning customer, as well as encouraging others to use MMI for all of their woodwind needs. I was very impressed with the new store space, large inventory, and professional staff. One other staff member I must mention is Jessica Nelson. She was also incredible to work with--such attention to detail and passion for what she does. Thank you, Midwest Musical Imports for the fantastic experience! I look forward to the next one.
Norbert Nielubowski, Minnesota Orchestra
For buying and selling new or used instruments and double reed supplies, MMI is a great place for all your bassoon needs. With their excellent staff and their extensive inventory of new and used bassoons, bocals, and supplies, MMI is a full service shop for all your bassoon needs whether you are a professional, student or amateur. I’ve always had great service from MMI- their great bassoon specialists, Jessica and Katie, are always ready to answer my questions about bassoons, bocals, or the latest reed-making equipment. MMI is my first choice.
Raymond Santos, Kansas City Symphony, Principal Clarinet & Buffet-Crampon Artist
Midwest Musical Imports has been a wonderful resource for me. They've been able to help me sell several of my instruments on consignment, which took the stress out of the instrument selling process. Additionally, it's been a great place for me to visit and try their inventory of clarinets. Tori has a great selection of instruments, and it was very easy to find a set of clarinets that fit my needs. I highly recommend Midwest Musical Imports to students and professionals.
Nathan Hughes, Metropolitan Opera | Oboe Faculty, The Juilliard School
Thank you MMI for all the knowledge, care and wonderful service you have provided for so many of us over the years! You are an invaluable resource for musicians everywhere!
Frances Colón, Former Principal Oboe, Puerto Rico Symphony Orchestra
"I have been a customer for over a decade and have always received the most amazing customer service there is. Products are shipped immediately and arrive fast extremely well packed and taken care of. Thank YOU, Midwest Musical Imports for your service to the music community! Bravo!"
William Short, Principal Bassoon, Metropolitan Opera
MMI's combination of high-quality merchandise, reasonable prices, and knowledgeable staff have made them my go-to double reed supplier for years. Whether I'm stocking up on cane for the next opera season, helping my students look for bocals, or just splurging on the latest gadget, they're the best!
Ben Kamins, Rice University
Thanks for the incredible support you and your colleagues serve my students. It really makes an enormous difference for their success in the profession.