With the latest in plastics technology and the input of dozens of professional bassoonists from around the world, Légère has created a bassoon reed that will meet the demands of the most discerning players. These reeds will not change under different weather conditions and will last up to 10 times longer than your average cane reed. Our bassoon specialists have found these reeds are especially good with soft dynamics, articulation, and smooth legato.
These reeds are available in “Medium” and “Medium Hard”. The Medium strength offers easier blowing and the most relaxed controlled pianissimo. The Medium Hard requires greater air support and firmer embouchure for control, but has the potential for more power at the forte dynamic end.
In Stock! Due to the high cost of shipping, a trial is possible for very serious inquiries only.
We order our stock Fox contrabassoons with the following options:
- Rollers on front C-Eb
- Alternate C# touch by the top vent key – makes for a more ergonomic and acoustically responsive high register
- Divorced low E – improves intonation and response for F#-A in the lower and overblown octave
This contra plays with a huge rich sound and rock solid intonation for four octaves. The keywork moves cleanly and consistently so you can play with as much facility as possible. Comes with a Fox C1 and C2 contrabassoon bocals and Fox hard case. Like all of our new bassoons, this comes with our MMI two year warranty.
We also stock Heckel contrabassoon bocals and Kolbl/Roko contrabassoon gig bags if you need the extras!
Fox is proud to offer its newest professional oboe: the Sayen. The Sayen has a larger body than traditional oboes. It is designed to produce the richest and darkest sound of all Fox oboes, while still offering exceptional response and intonation. Trimmed in gold with fine silver keys and the most select hand finished grenadilla wood, this oboe exemplifies the beauty and tradition of American craftsmanship.
- Select grenadilla body
- Nickel silver lined tenon sockets
- Nickel silver caps for upper and lower tenon shoulders
- Key work made of nickel silver with heavy silver plating
- Nickel silver with gold plated posts and bands
- Stainless steel arbors
- Stainless steel wire springs
- Teflon tipped stainless steel adjusting screws
- High quality cork pads throughout
- Adjustable thumb rest
- Full conservatory system
- Left hand F key
- F resonance mechanism
- F (sharp) key tab
- B tab, Articulated C (sharp) mechanism
- A (flat)-B (flat) trill with A height adjustment
- G(sharp)-A trill key
- Low C-C (sharp) trill key
- Assembly key C-D and B-C (sharp) trills
- Low B (flat) key with bridge adjustment screw
- Low B (flat) resonance vent
- Third octave key
- Split D ring mechanism
- Philadelphia high D key
- Hand-made French style professional leather case
- Sheepskin lined case cover
- Leather three-reed case
- Silk swab, cork grease
- Grenadilla tenon cork caps
Bassoon specialist Trent Jacobs has his bassoon further customized by our head repair tech Eric Anderson. Check the description and photos on his blog.
After careful consideration, I decided I wanted to add a right hand Eb trill and offset the C# trill on my bassoon. I had Eric Anderson at Midwest Musical Imports again do the work. We used Fox key castings and posts and had the plating done at Brinkman’s Silver Plating in St. Paul. Some components, as always had to be made specifically for these keys. Here’s a gallery of the entire process!